vrijdag 27 maart 2015

Good bye South Africa! Holland is calling!
 
Tonight I  am going to fly back to the Netherlands after 10 wonderful weeks in South Africa. I was so fortunate to stay  ten weeks for an exchange in Cape Town, which is one of the most beautiful cities in a world. It has a fantastic location next to the Table mountain and  with amazing views looking over the Ocean. I lived with Steff's  family in Constantia.  It was a great experience to adapt to their life style. I know how important the braai is in South Africa,  because it is a social occasion where families and friends like to be together.
I am very happy that I studied at Herschel and I am proud that I could swim in their competition group and I could play flute in the assemble. I like the team spirit very much, how the whole school supports its teams. I did not mind that we had to wear a uniform, because that way everybody is equal, it does not matter where you come from.
I learned a lot about the rich history of South Africa. I visited the Vrijgrond Townships in Cape Town and Soweto in Johannesburg. Soweto is well known around the world as a symbol of the brutal apartheid. I cycled through the street where two Nobel Prize winners used to live: Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu. I got a real feeling in the Apartheid museum of the meaning to be NON WHITE. After the tour in Robben Island I understood completely why Nelson Mandela is one of the most respected men in the world. It was an unique experience and not only learning history but to see the promise of South Africa's future. Everything is developing rapidly and there is a hope for a better future.
South Africa has a beautiful nature. During our Excursion in Cederberg I saw the most spectacular rock formations with an unforgettable sunset with a brilliant colour combination of blue, pink, purple and orange. I will never forget the moment when I swam through the waterfall on Elandspad and I looked up: I could see breathtaking sunrays through the water drops. We also visited Cape Point, the extreme southern tip of Africa where the view was incredible. I found that the Ocean is amazingly beautiful and  magnificent. When I surfed I could feel  its power and it remains a special moment for me to be on the top of the world.
The wildlife experience during the Garden Tour was fantastic with an elephant ride, croco cage diving, stroking different animals, bungee jumping and a safari tour.
The best aspects of this exchange was meeting new people and starting new friendships.  It is a nice feeling to meet local people and get to know them and their reasons for loving South Africa as much as they do. They have a big hart and a warm hospitality. My exchange was an amazing adventure and it is an experience for a lifetime. Now I can also thank for it in Afrikaans:
"Dankie aan almal vir hierdie wonderlike avontuur, vir hierdie fantastiese reis van 'n leefty"

Good bye South Africa!

3 opmerkingen:

  1. Oh Dionne, what a wunderful recap of your time in SA. I am sure you are going to miss it very much. Through you I relived our journey there again. Thank you for that. I loved reading your blog.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. It is difficult to say Good Bye! But I am sure that once you will go back. You have now also a family there and some new friends. I liked this beautiful summary of your experiance in South Africa. Lysm xk

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. What a great experience at your age!!! You know when I grew up in a communist country we couldn't travel outside of Eastern Europe, my first flight was at 16 to Moscow with a guided tour. You have the whole world in your hands and I'm sure this was just the beginning! Enjoy the "ride", there's so much more to see!!! Love you :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen